ietf-nntp <0> and message IDs

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sun Apr 6 11:44:00 PDT 2003

Andrew Gierth said:
> I think there needs to be something pointing out that where the server
> is conforming to an article format standard that has a definition of
> message-ids which is compatible with the NNTP one, then the server
> MUST use the ids defined by that specification rather than generate
> its own.

How about this (also applies Russ's note)?

   This specification does not describe how the message-id of an article
   is determined (if the server is also conforming to another
   specification that contains a definition of message-id compatible
   with this one, the server SHOULD use those message-ids). Many servers
   will extract the message-id from the contents of a header with name
   "Message-ID", but this is not required by this document. In
   particular, if the article does not contain such a header, the server
   MUST synthesise a message-id (it need not modify the article to add
   such a header unless required to by another specification).

I've said "SHOULD" because it's not actually an interoperability
requirement for NNTP.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646