ietf-nntp <0> and message IDs

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Sun Apr 6 11:24:56 PDT 2003

Andrew Gierth said:
>>    * A message-id MUST NOT contain octets other than printable US-ASCII
>>      characters.
> message-ids must not include the space character, either.

"printable" doesn't include space or tab. This is made clear in the formal
syntax; does it need to be said somewhere else as well? [I don't want to
have to keep repeating it.]

>>    This specification does not describe how the message-id of an article
>>    is determined. Many servers will extract the message-id from the
>>    contents of a header with name "Message-ID", but this is not required
>>    by this document. In particular, if the article does not contain such
>>    a header, the server MUST synthesise a message-id (but need not
>>    modify the article to add such a header).
>
> I think there needs to be something pointing out that where the server
> is conforming to an article format standard that has a definition of
> message-ids which is compatible with the NNTP one, then the server
> MUST use the ids defined by that specification rather than generate
> its own.

Technically that's outside our remit, but I'll see what I can do.

Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | *** NOTE CHANGE ***
Demon Internet      | WWW: http://www.davros.org | Fax:    +44 870 051 9937
Thus plc            |                            | Mobile: +44 7973 377646