ietf-nntp Folding

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sat Apr 5 02:51:01 PST 2003

"Clive D. W. Feather" <clive at on-the-train.demon.co.uk> writes:

> In 2822, can a header be folded between the colon and the following
> space? That is, is:
>
> Subject:
>   This is the subject line
>
> valid? What about in USEFOR? Should we allow it in our draft?
>
> Similarly, is it legitimate to fold between two spaces?

quoting draft-ietf-usefor-article-09.txt:

"3.1.  Principal Changes

     o The [RFC 2822] conventions for parenthesis-enclosed comments in
       headers are supported.
     o Whitespace is permitted in Newsgroups-headers, permitting folding
       of such headers. Indeed, all headers can now be folded.
     o Because of its importance to all serving agents, the extension
       permitting whitespace and folding in Newsgroups-headers SHOULD
       NOT be used until it has been widely deployed amongst relaying
       agents. User agents are unaffected."

--
Matthias Andree