ietf-nntp Folding

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Apr 2 05:00:32 PST 2003

In <UzFHfyRRmfi+EwhA at romana.davros.org> "Clive D. W. Feather" <clive at on-the-train.demon.co.uk> writes:

>In 2822, can a header be folded between the colon and the following
>space? That is, is:

>Subject:
>  This is the subject line

>valid? What about in USEFOR? Should we allow it in our draft?

Usefor says MUST NOT generate SHOULD accept (essentially copied from
Son-of-1036).

Part of the reasoning is that some non-compliant agent might truncate any
trailing whitespace, and that would leave no SP after the ':', and that
might confuse the next agent that saw it. I think you should allow it from
an NNTP POV, but you need to take a position on whether that SP is present
after the ':'.

RFC 2822 allows that situation (but not the one where a continuation line
is nothing but whitespace).

Usefor (and Son-of-1036) also disallow headers with empty content (but
again SHOULD accept). That SP is still obligatory.

>Similarly, is it legitimate to fold between two spaces?

Yes.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.