ietf-nntp OVER and HDR parameter comments

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Apr 2 04:41:44 PST 2003

In <3E89CC72.C10CB6B1 at oceana.com> Ken Murchison <ken at oceana.com> writes:

>Similarly, its seems as if the HDR parameter proposal is a way of
>linking HDR back to the OVER implementation (or some other
>implementation decision).

That is how a lot of systems currently implement it, because they don't
want to bear the cost of doing anything more (see Andrew's post). My
proposal is to describe that behaviour, in the enxtesnions, as HDR
OVERVIEW.

>  I don't think that HDR shouln't be restricted
>to a subset of headers in any way.  The server has the article, so parse
>it and find the header.

And that is what users might like it to do if only the server people were
prepared to pay the price (as some of them currently do). My proposal is
to describe that behaviour, in the extensions, as HDR ALL.

Just recognising the two forms or current practice.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.