ietf-nntp Articles without message IDs

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Tue Apr 1 18:16:33 PST 2003

>>>>> "Russ" == Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

 Russ> Please, everyone, read through this and say something about
 Russ> your opinion.

I think we should take this route:

 Russ>  2. State that articles MUST have message IDs, but add a
 Russ>  special exception to the text of POST saying that articles
 Russ>  offered via POST need not have a message ID, but that in that
 Russ>  case one will be added by the server.  Note at the beginning
 Russ>  of the document this difference from RFC 977.

except that we should avoid being too specific about what happens to
the article on POST (since that is down to the underlying news system
and not NNTP).

(I have never seen the <0> thing actually used anywhere, and it just
looks to me like an ugly and completely unnecessary wart that we
should take the opportunity to excise.)

--
Andrew.