ietf-nntp Standardization of LIST OVERVIEW.FMT

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Apr 1 09:49:33 PST 2003

> [Q5] What approach do you think should be taken by the next NNTP standard?

After further thought, I think that the output of OVER should be fixed
to whatever set of header/meta-data is needed by a client to produce its
article list.  Any other headers can be fetched via HDR.  If a server
chooses to include more that just the standard stuff in its overview
cache/database, then it can be used to speed up the corresponding HDR
OVERVIEW.FMT.

The bottom line is that if clients can't depend on the output of
OVERVIEW.FMT being consistent and/or they don't change behavior based on
its output, then it is essentially useless.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127