ietf-nntp HDR parameter proposal

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 02:46:58 PST 2003

In <ylsmt341f1.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>I don't think including an OVERVIEW parameter without requiring LIST
>OVERVIEW.FMT is a good idea for all the same reasons that LIST
>OVERVIEW.FMT is problematic.  You have no way of knowing, for a particular
>article, what headers are included in the overview, and looking at the
>results of an OVER command for that article doesn't help.

No, I've changed my position since I first proposed OVERVIEW as a HDR
parameter.

I now think it should mean
   "HDR will return (at least) those headers which would have appeared in
    an OVER command issued at that moment."

Clive seemed to indicate that he liked that version. It means that keeping
LIST OVERVIEW.FMT or not is no longer an issue (though I still prefer to
retain it for its own sake). Naturally, it automatically includes Xref if
Xref is a normal part of OVER. It has an obvious implementation (just look
in the overview file).

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.