ietf-nntp draft-ietf-nntpext-base-17

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Tue Apr 1 02:37:52 PST 2003

In <20030331082509.GU89969 at finch-staff-1.thus.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>Charles Lindsey said:

>I don't see the need. That's one possible policy, but not the only one.

>If you want to know which groups have arrived since a specific date,
>you use NEWGROUPS.

Yes. Good point. NEWNEWS esentially give you a window onto the
ACTIME.TIMES file.

Two points:

1: Maybe its relation to ACTIVE.TIMES should be mentioned (as a Note).

2: Should there be some indication that asking for everything since 5
years ago might lead to disappointment? There seems to be no response code
for that situation. Which of the generic responses is appropriate if
records don't go back as far as you asked? Or do you just get a list of
new groups since whenever the server's records start?

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.