ietf-nntp OVER extension

greg andruk gja at meowing.net
Tue Sep 3 16:44:30 PDT 2002

Russ Allbery wrote:
> I think that Andrew's point was well-made and that maybe we shouldn't add
> this just for the sake of consistency when it seems rather unlikely that
> any client will bother issuing such a command.

OVER <id> isn't needed, as long as the metadata, particularly :bytes, is
available through HDR.  The reason, NNTP's lack of a clean way to
interrupt ARTICLE transfers, just came up again in news.software.nntp.

HEAD is useless for preventing those unexpected long transfers; for
example, there appears to be some popular binary posting software that
always uses "Lines: 10" regardless of actual size.