ietf-nntp OVER extension

Clive D. W. Feather clive at on-the-train.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 3 01:30:44 PDT 2002

In message <ylit1y6uh4.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>, Russ Allbery
<rra at stanford.edu> writes
>> There was a suggestion that OVER could take a message-ID. This would
>> need to be optional; to allow it, include the lines prefixed with $,
>> while to forbid it exclude those lines.
>
>Why does this need to be optional?  It's a new command; we can require
>that this be implemented.

Some people were claiming that it would be too hard to add to their
implementations.

>>   This memo defines two metadata items: "line:count" and "byte:count".
>I'd like to see :lines and :bytes here instead.

Any particular reason? I was aiming for something that was more clearly
not a header.

In fact, wouldn't "body:lines" and "article:bytes" be even better names?

>I think we should drop the LIST OVERVIEW.FMT command.  As discussed on
>this list rather extensively, it doesn't provide any useful information,
>and with the introduction of metadata names it just confuses things.

I'm about ready to agree with you. Any dissenters?

>> $      First form (optional range specified):
>
>>           224   Overview information follows (multi-line response)
>>           412   No newsgroup currently selected
>>           423   No article(s) selected
>
>That should be 420,

Yes.

>and you're missing the 430 (no such article number)
>response here.

No, I'm missing 423 for "no articles in range". 430 is for the second
form of the command.

- --
Clive D.W. Feather     NOTE   | Internet Expert | Work: <clive at demon.net>
Tel: +44 20 8371 1138  change | Demon Internet  | Home: <clive at davros.org>