ietf-nntp POST/IHAVE

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sun Mar 31 17:51:50 PST 2002

Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:

> The last three paragraphs of 9.3.2 (IHAVE) really apply to both
> commands.  Should they move to the general section (9.3) ? Some
> rewording would be necessary.

I don't agree that they do.  See my other separate proposal for wording to
add to the POST command.  In particular, while it's normal for servers to
give successful responses to the IHAVE command and then later throw away
the article, this is a SHOULD NOT for POST because that information is
rather important to a posting client (whereas a peer news server almost
certainly doesn't care).

So the only paragraph that's actually mostly common is the bit about not
assuming that the article was successfully transferred unless one receives
an affirmative response, and with POST there are some additional
considerations that should be taken into account there.