ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Sat Mar 30 00:53:10 PST 2002

In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0203280113500.24120-100000 at marduk.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

>On Wed, 27 Mar 2002, Charles Lindsey wrote:

>>     A. Define a LENGTH extension with parameter 'n' (default and minimum
>> allowed 512) which any implementation can choose to provide as it thinks
>> fit.
>>
>>     B. "Any extension which requires the use of a command line length in
>> excess of 512 MUST also support the LENGTH extension, with parameter
>> greater than or equal to the length it requires."

>Ah, ok.  Three things:

>- We have to convince Stan and whoever expressed the opinion he relayed.

>- So to be sure I understand -- you're suggesting we leave the strict 512
>  byte limit in the NNTP spec, unmodified, and then override it here?

512 would be the default, if the LENGTH extension is not supported (for
whatever reason).

>- Do we really want to put not-really-related extensions in the same
>  document?  It makes giving it a good title kinda hard, if nothing else.
>  Why not put it in a separate document?

What I had in mind was to put A and B above in the base document. Then the
way is clear for any subsequent extension to build on it.

But first we have to convine Stan, as you say.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.