ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 28 11:56:55 PST 2002

 >> (not as silly a suggestion as it might sound - one likely reason
 >> for a client sending over-long command lines is that it's got out
 >> of sync on a failed POST command and is sending the article
 >> headers+body anyway.

 Jeffrey> Right.  (On the other hand, there are potential problems in
 Jeffrey> that the client is likely to retry exactly the same command
 Jeffrey> again.  I'm curious if you find this a problem in practice.)

apparently not

The only other consistent pattern I've seen recently is certain users
connecting, issuing "MODE READER", and then sending a long command
line. In some cases such users come back two or three times at
intervals of 5 or so minutes. I currently have no idea what is causing
this, and no easy way to find out.

--
Andrew.