ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Mar 28 11:12:11 PST 2002

On 28 Mar 2002, Andrew Gierth wrote:

>  Jeffrey> Draft 15 does not say what happens if a client violates the
>  Jeffrey> line length limit.  There are three things a server can
>  Jeffrey> reasonably do:
>  Jeffrey> - accept the longer command
>  Jeffrey> - silently truncate to 512
>  Jeffrey> - return a syntax error
>
> 4) abort the connection

Oh yeah, thanks for thinking of that.

(I thought of that last night and then forgot to list it this morning.)

> (not as silly a suggestion as it might sound - one likely reason for a
> client sending over-long command lines is that it's got out of sync on
> a failed POST command and is sending the article headers+body anyway.

Right.  (On the other hand, there are potential problems in that the
client is likely to retry exactly the same command again.  I'm curious if
you find this a problem in practice.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org