ietf-nntp CONSENSUS POLL -- PLEASE READ AND RESPOND NO LATER THAN 1400 CST 17 March 2002 (that +6:00 GMT for those that don't know what CST is)

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 19 12:36:17 PST 2002

Stan O Barber <sob at academ.com> writes:

> Overview

> In the response to the OVER command, should bytes and lines be calculated
> in real-time using the entire article (body and headers)?

I'm not sure I understand this question.  I don't believe that anyone is
arguing that the byte and line counts of the article should be calculated
overview database of the server be calculated from the article (probably
at the time that it was received from a peer) rather than based on the
Lines header of the message.

> Should blank mandatory headers return a value of ""?

I'm also not sure I understand this question.  Do you mean a literal value
of two ASCII double quote characters, or an empty value (delimited by
tabs or the end of the overview string)?  Is this question meaning to ask
about the representation of trailing empty fields in the return of OVER or
something else?