ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Mon Mar 18 02:18:09 PST 2002

In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0203170033410.2129-100000 at marduk.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

>Ah, ok.  I have no strong preference here.  Other people?  Should we be
>specifying how extensions should increase the line length limit?  If so,
>should the number be documented in the output of LIST EXTENSIONS or in the
>spec for the extension?

I think you keep the flexibility. If you have an extension known as
	LENGTH1024
which just increases the present 512 to 1024, then there will come a time
then someone wants 2048 for whatever reason, so they have to invent yet
another estension.

Whereas if you invent an extension for arbitrary lengths (to be specified
as a parameter) then implementors can decide how long they will support,
and clients can find out using the LIST EXTENSION command.

Since the extension mechanism in our draft makes provision for extensions
to have parameters, we may as well make use of it.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.