ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Sat Mar 16 21:37:02 PST 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Charles Lindsey wrote:

> In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0203141432350.2129-100000 at marduk.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>
> >On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Charles Lindsey wrote:
>
> >> 	202 Extensions supported:
> >> 	OVER
> >> 	HDR
> >> 	COMMANDLEN 998
> >> 	SASL 400
> >> 	.
>
> >Hmm.  This is not what I had in mind, although it might work.
>
> But I think the effect is the same. You would compile the NNTP server with
> limits for both COMMANDLEN and SASL set at compile time (but satisfying
> that constraint), causing the LIST EXTENSION command to respond as I
> indicated. Presumably you would choose the SASL limit in accordance with
> whatever SASL algorithms you had decided to support (or have I totally
> misunderstood SASL?).

Ah, ok.  I have no strong preference here.  Other people?  Should we be
specifying how extensions should increase the line length limit?  If so,
should the number be documented in the output of LIST EXTENSIONS or in the
spec for the extension?

(And yes, it sounds like you're understanding SASL just fine.)

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org