ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 01:45:28 PST 2002

In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0203141432350.2129-100000 at marduk.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

>On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Charles Lindsey wrote:

>> OK, just to confirm my understanding, the LIST EXTENSIONS command might
>> return:
>>
>> 	202 Extensions supported:
>> 	OVER
>> 	HDR
>> 	COMMANDLEN 998
>> 	SASL 400
>> 	.
>>
>> where COMMANDLEN defaults to (and MUST be >= than) 512
>> and SASL * <base 64 factor> + <margin> MUST be <= COMMANDLEN

>Hmm.  This is not what I had in mind, although it might work.  The way
>ESMTP does it (to my understanding) the line lengths are documented in
>each extension's specification, and thus the code can continue to have the
>limit set at compile time, based on what exxtensions it supports.

Well you could certainly specify it like that in the NNTP extension
mechanism defined in our draft.

But I think the effect is the same. You would compile the NNTP server with
limits for both COMMANDLEN and SASL set at compile time (but satisfying
that constraint), causing the LIST EXTENSION command to respond as I
indicated. Presumably you would choose the SASL limit in accordance with
whatever SASL algorithms you had decided to support (or have I totally
misunderstood SASL?).

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.