ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Thu Mar 14 11:36:30 PST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Charles Lindsey wrote:

> In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0203132236300.2129-100000 at marduk.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:
>
> >- Stan modifies the extensions mechanism to allow extensions to increase
> >  the line length limit.  (Chris points out that we have precedent on
> >  this; see the relevant bit of the ESMTP spec below.) I'd be willing to
> >  suggest wording for this if necessary.
>
> OK, just to confirm my understanding, the LIST EXTENSIONS command might
> return:
>
> 	202 Extensions supported:
> 	OVER
> 	HDR
> 	COMMANDLEN 998
> 	SASL 400
> 	.
>
> where COMMANDLEN defaults to (and MUST be >= than) 512
> and SASL * <base 64 factor> + <margin> MUST be <= COMMANDLEN

Hmm.  This is not what I had in mind, although it might work.  The way
ESMTP does it (to my understanding) the line lengths are documented in
each extension's specification, and thus the code can continue to have the
limit set at compile time, based on what exxtensions it supports.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org