ietf-nntp AUTHINFO SASL protocol choices

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Mar 14 02:14:38 PST 2002

In <Pine.LNX.4.33.0203132236300.2129-100000 at marduk.litech.org> "Jeffrey M. Vinocur" <jeff at litech.org> writes:

>If we need to increase the line length limit, I suggest the following
>procedure:

>- Stan modifies the extensions mechanism to allow extensions to increase
>  the line length limit.  (Chris points out that we have precedent on
>  this; see the relevant bit of the ESMTP spec below.) I'd be willing to
>  suggest wording for this if necessary.

>- We get the SASL spec revised to require that when a mechanism is
>  registered, the maximum size of an exchange be given.  Chris can ask
>  John Myers to include this in the current draft which revises RFC
>  2222; he doesn't think it will be a problem.

>- In the AUTHINFO SASL extension, we require an implementation to
>  support a line length limit which is based on the max size of an
>  exchange in the SASL mechanism (of those it implements) with the
>  largest maximum, scaled up to account for base64 overhead.

OK, just to confirm my understanding, the LIST EXTENSIONS command might
return:

	202 Extensions supported:
	OVER
	HDR
	COMMANDLEN 998
	SASL 400
	.

where COMMANDLEN defaults to (and MUST be >= than) 512
and SASL * <base 64 factor> + <margin> MUST be <= COMMANDLEN

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.