ietf-nntp Server response length limits

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Mar 13 03:01:38 PST 2002

In <87it82z1rp.fsf at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>that's a weakness that needs to be fixed, then. There is no reason to
>allow unbounded lengths of single-line response, and most existing
>software is broken by unduly long response lines. The single-line
>response should be limited to 512 octets including the CRLF (and the
>including the initial three digits and space).

Actually, I always thought that 512 limit was a bit tight, especially for
NEWNEWS. It would be more sense to make it 1000, leaving 998 after
allowing for the CRLF, since 998 seems to be a common limit elsewhere in
the mail/news world.

But I suppose it is too late now (though I think someone did suggest an
entension).

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.