ietf-nntp HDR replacement text

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Jul 5 02:04:48 PDT 2002

In <ylvg7w16nt.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>> Those servers I've tested produce no response line for articles that
>> are missing, and an empty response (or the deprecated "(none)"
>> response) where the article is present but the header is missing.

Then how can you tell whether the response is a missing header or an empty
one?

>Ack.  You're right.  Mea culpa; my testing methodology was flawed.

>Sounds like we should be returning an empty response for both a missing
>header or a header with no content, then, just like OVER will.  I'll make
>that change in my writeup.

Hmm! Just tried Stan's model implementation and it returns the deprecated
"(none)". I can't say I like it, and would much prefer what is in Russ'
current text. Do you think we could use the argument that this is a new
command to change the behaviour, or at least to allow what Russ has
written?

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.