ietf-nntp OVER extension

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 4 01:00:26 PDT 2002

Charles Lindsey said:
>>  The OVER command returns the contents of the headers and metadata in
>>  the database for the article(s) specified from the current selected
>                                                      ^^^^^^^
> 						      currently
>>  group.

Hmm. I would agree with you, but I note that draft 15 uses all of:

    current newsgroup
    current group selected
    current group
    currently selected group
    current selected article

elsewhere, as well as "current selected group" in the existing OVER text.
But I'll change it.

> >  A 412 error response is returned if
> >  no newsgroup is currently selected and a 420 error response if no article
> >  is selected in the current newsgroup. A 423 error response is returned if
>                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> but not if the $ features (message-id) are included

This paragraph addresses the first form of the command. However, I've added
the following to the $ paragraph later:

$ A server MAY, but is not required to, support the second form of the
$ command, specifying a message-ID. If it does, no newsgroup need be
$ selected and the article number in the output is replaced by "0".
! Apart from this, a successful response is the same as with the first
! form of the command, while a 430 error response is returned if the
! article does not exist.

On the other hand, if we have a formal table of responses for each command,
do we really need to list all these error responses in the text ? That's a
wider question, though.

> >  For the five mandatory headers, the content of each field MUST be
> >  based on the original header with the header name and following colon
> >  and space removed. If the article does not contain that header, or if
>        ^^^^^
>        whitespace
>
> Is that right? There might be several spaces plus the odd TAB.

I thought that existing practice was to remove just the first space. Can
others comment here ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937