ietf-nntp OVER extension

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jul 4 00:46:02 PDT 2002

Maurizio Codogno said:
>>If I change the wording to allow CRLF to count as either one or two, will
>>anyone object ?
> In this case, I would prefer something like "CRLF SHOULD count as
> two octects, but MAY count as one" (or vice versa), so that there is
> a default value, but the other one is still allowed.

That's what I had in mind. Um:

  The byte:count metadata item for an article is a decimal integer.
  It MUST equal the number of bytes in the entire article - headers, body,
  and separating blank line - except that the US-ASCII CRLF at the end
  of each line MAY (but SHOULD NOT) be counted as a single byte.

[I know Andrew will have problems with the MUST. I'll address those
separately.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 870 051 9937