ietf-nntp HDR replacement text

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 17:31:54 PDT 2002

 >> Um. No. Not good, because it confuses the case where a header is
 >> missing with the case where the entire article is missing.

 Russ> I'm not sure I understand: You're saying that the current XHDR
 Russ> behavior is broken in this regard?

 Russ> The above is essentially what XHDR does now.  XHDR doesn't
 Russ> distinguish between nonexistent articles and present articles
 Russ> that don't have that header.

This does not agree with my observations or experiments. What server
behaves in that way?

Those servers I've tested produce no response line for articles that
are missing, and an empty response (or the deprecated "(none)"
response) where the article is present but the header is missing.

--
Andrew.