ietf-nntp OVER extension

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 3 09:54:47 PDT 2002

 >> Ew. No. Ideally, it should specify the byte count counting all
 >> CRLF pairs as two bytes.

 Clive> That was my proposal six months ago, but everyone told me that
 Clive> existing practice is to treat CRLF as one byte.

Existing practice is simply not that consistent.

 Clive> Um, I can see the number of octets being different, because of
 Clive> dot stuffing, but I'm not sure I get the "isn't predictable"
 Clive> bit. Isn't the whole reason this is in the overview to *make*
 Clive> it predictable ?

Diablo, for example, stores the overviews and article bodies on
separate servers, and there may be more than one server for the
bodies, with no guarantee that the octet size will be the same on all
(because the Path may differ).

--
Andrew.