ietf-nntp OVER extension

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 3 09:02:45 PDT 2002

Russ Allbery <rra at Stanford.EDU> writes:
> Clive D W Feather <clive at demon.net> writes:
>> Andrew Gierth said:

>>> Ew. No. Ideally, it should specify the byte count counting all CRLF
>>> pairs as two bytes.

>> That was my proposal six months ago, but everyone told me that existing
>> practice is to treat CRLF as one byte.

> Personally, I think existing practice is wrong, and since we're creating
> something new, we can fix it.  The byte count should, so far as
> possible, match the number of octets transferred on the wire when the
> article is downloaded IMO (although it's arguable whether it should
> include the extra dot from dot stuffing).

Whoops, sorry, I lost my context here.

The byte field in overview isn't new, of course, but on the other hand
some people do one thing and some people do another, so in practice I
think that it varies at least some.  I think there's enough leeway for us
to choose to count CRLF as two characters, although I could be persuaded
I'm wrong.