ietf-nntp HDR

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 03:23:17 PST 2002

In <20020108194245.GR10849 at finch-staff-1.demon.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>Charles Lindsey said:
>>> The three obvious cases are:
>>>(1) no colon
>>>(2) leading colon
>>>(3) trailing colon
>>
>> (4) colon anywhere (including the middle).

>That seemed less obvious, but ...

>> Since I now see that my "line.count" and "byte.count" won't work (see
>> above), I would therefore suggest "line:count" and "byte:count". I think
>> these look better than a colon at the beginning.

>Fine with me.

>Um, should LIST OVERVIEW.FMT call them that as well ? If so, we can't have
>metadata whose name ends ":full".

Oh dear! Nothing is perfect. I still think line:count is the way to go,
and similarly for other meta-headers (I presume people can invent
additional meta-headers in OVERVIEW.FMT if they want, and let them be
returned by HDR). It just needs a warning about the :full case.

>> A colon at the end would
>> get confused with the usual colon following a header-name, so is better
>> avoided.

>Agreed.

I think the spec allows the colon 'anywhere', but good practice is the
middle, or beginning if it is a single word.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.