ietf-nntp HDR

Ade Lovett ade at lovett.com
Wed Jan 9 06:40:42 PST 2002

On 01/09/02 02:13, "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> wrote:
> And why does any of this justify requiring LIST OVERVIEW.FMT before using
> HDR ? Which, to remind you, was your original demand^Wsuggestion.

Because it's a (server) capabilities step.  Check the capabilities of a
server, before blindly (attempting to) use them, otherwise I guarantee that
some boneheaded client author, probably with considerable market share, will
do:

    Try HDR, fallback to HEAD

For EVERY SINGLE article they're interested in.

Again, it is a simple mistake of viewing the document as IT, conveniently
ignoring RealWorld[tm] issues.

Of course, y'all could get a little more radical and list the capabilities
in a multiline initial response.  Nah.  Never happen.

-aDe