ietf-nntp HDR

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Wed Jan 9 00:13:19 PST 2002

Ade Lovett said:
>>> Then change it to a SHOULD (and be prepared to deal with the consequences if
>>> it doesn't,
>> *what* consequences ?
> The blindingly obvious one which you yourself state one paragraph down,
> namely that the client may start seeing 5xx's.
>
> It's also an optimization thing.  A client may not want the entire overview
> entry, but a couple of specific headers (perhaps, shock horror, those not
> mentioned in the NOV spec).  It does a LIST OVERVIEW.FMT, sees the list of
> headers and goes "wow, I can grab this header instead of the entire overview
> or, worse, using HEAD).

And why does any of this justify requiring LIST OVERVIEW.FMT before using
HDR ? Which, to remind you, was your original demand^Wsuggestion.

In any case:

Your way:
    Do LIST OVERVIEW.FMT
    Parse results for desired header
    If found:
        Use HDR
        If get 5xx, curse non-conforming server and use HEAD
    else
        use HEAD

The simpler way:
    Use HDR