ietf-nntp HDR

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jan 8 11:42:45 PST 2002

Charles Lindsey said:
>> The three obvious cases are:
>>(1) no colon
>>(2) leading colon
>>(3) trailing colon
>
> (4) colon anywhere (including the middle).

That seemed less obvious, but ...

> Since I now see that my "line.count" and "byte.count" won't work (see
> above), I would therefore suggest "line:count" and "byte:count". I think
> these look better than a colon at the beginning.

Fine with me.

Um, should LIST OVERVIEW.FMT call them that as well ? If so, we can't have
metadata whose name ends ":full".

> A colon at the end would
> get confused with the usual colon following a header-name, so is better
> avoided.

Agreed.

>> (B) If no, how do we address existing practice for OVER and the Lines
>> situation for HDR ?
> "Lines" must return the genuine Lines header from the article, if present,
> (for any user stupid enough to believe it), or it will return the
> response "sorry, we only do OVERVIEW.FMT headers".

Fine with me. As someone said, you could filter on line count v Lines: as a
bozo-test.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037