ietf-nntp HDR

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Mon Jan 7 02:00:48 PST 2002

Russ Allbery said:
>> I'm just wary of special-case kludges like this.
>
> Yeah, me too.
>
> The leading colon feels like a special-case rule in the parser, though,
> which feels to me like just moving it around.

But it isn't. The syntax for HDR becomes, in effect:

    "HDR" (header-name / ":" metadata-name) (range / "<" message-id ">")

This allows servers to support any metadata they like.

Similarly, the syntax for the LIST OVERVIEW.FMT response becomes:

    header-name ":" ["full"] / ":" metadata-name

[If you want full consistency, allow HDR to take an optional ":" or ":full"
after the header name, the latter asking for the header name to be included
in the response. I'm not proposing that, though.]

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037