ietf-nntp HDR

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 4 22:21:48 PST 2002

Ade Lovett <ade at lovett.com> writes:

> Wrong.  So far, I see nothing in the HDR draft to say that the server
> MAY refuse certain requests based on local policy (as exists in other
> commands).

> The simple addition of, say:

>     503 header <HEADER> not available for indexing purposes

> As a possible response to HDR, in its various forms, would solve that.
> Not stunningly hard to do.

We were in the process of establishing consensus for exactly this solution
when you started yelling at me about how broken my conception of HDR is.
If you're now quite finished with that, can we get back to building
consensus for the solution that you apparently favored all along?

I really don't care what you choose to implement in your servers as long
as we can agree on some sort of standard that describes how the server
should reply to client requests, and as long as that standard does not
unnecessraily limit implementation decisions.