ietf-nntp HDR

Ade Lovett ade at lovett.com
Fri Jan 4 20:57:09 PST 2002

On 01/04/02 22:37, "Russ Allbery" <rra at stanford.edu> wrote:
> You may find it enlightening to go retrieve a bunch of Usenet articles and
> compare the contents of the Lines header with the actual article line
> count.  This experiment has been done before and the results are quite
> damning.

Been there, done that.  I think that's why we rewrote Lines headers for the
past 10 years or so, in various disguises.

You are falling into the classic trap of working around something that needs
to be addressed elsewhere, namely in the posting of articles, where it
should simply state that the server MUST ignore the client-supplied Lines:
header (on POST) and generate its own (accurate) header.

One must maintain a grasp of both ends of the chain.. The input and output
sides, and the fact that the similar people 'control' the outcome of the
appropriate drafts.  If one side has to spend a lot of time compensating for
the other, then both have failed.

-aDe