ietf-nntp HDR

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Fri Jan 4 20:33:27 PST 2002

Ade Lovett <ade at lovett.com> writes:

> Well, welcome to the Real World [tm] outside of Usenet Academia.  Sorry,
> but I'm not going to listen to those that have absolutely no
> comprehension of even the tiniest part of scaling.  You want HDR to work
> outside over "overview" headers, cool.  It ain't happening.  Deal with
> it.

INN supports XHDR on arbitrary headers and will support HDR on arbitrary
headers.  That's a reality of existing implementation.  Deal with it.

If you don't wish to support that on your own server, then you should have
an appropriate return code to use to signal that, and I support making
that change in our draft.

I do not support encoding your software limitations into the standard
unnecessarily.  HDR on non-overview headers works fine for a variety of
NNTP servers other than extremely high-end Usenet servers with huge client
bases, and this standard is for those servers as well as yours.

>> This would no longer represent a standardization of XHDR, however.

> In the standards world, an X-command is effectively undefined.  It
> cannot therefor be standardized, rendering your point moot.

Don't play semantic games to try to avoid the issue when you know
perfectly well what I'm talking about.  The origin of the HDR command in
our draft is very well-documented in the archives.