ietf-nntp HDR

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Jan 4 08:43:25 PST 2002

In <ylitajjqry.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu> Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> writes:

>I don't understand what you think LIST OVERVIEW.FMT has to do with the HDR
>command.  The commands are completely unrelated.

Yes they should be, but this was in response to Andrew who pointed out
that some servers do indeed mix them up (by returning non-standard things
for "XHDR Lines" and "XHDR Bytes").

>So do we want HDR to be able to retrieve non-header information?  That's
>the fundamental question, isn't it?

Well we might, but only if the syntax makes it clear what is happening
(hence CLive's :Lines and :Bytes, which I don't particularly like, BTW).

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.