ietf-nntp HDR

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Fri Jan 4 08:48:32 PST 2002

In <20020103181104.R28664 at demon.net> "Clive D.W. Feather" <clive at demon.net> writes:

>Russ Allbery said:

>> If we do, then we need some way of distinguishing between headers and
>> non-headers, since no matter what we call the line count, someone may use
>> a header by that name,

>Yes. I support the suggestion of ":Lines" and ":Bytes".

No, that looks too confusing. I suggested the words "linecount" and
"bytecount" to avoid all possible confusion with the Lines header. Put
some ':'s alongside nhem if you must (or better still, some other
non-alphanumeric than ':').

Alternatively, regard the existing treatment of "XHDR Lines" and "XHDR
Bytes" by some servers as an aberration to be anathematized. Trouble is,
as Andrew pointed out, the feature is actually of some use.

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.