ietf-nntp Detailed syntax

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jan 3 22:02:17 PST 2002

Ade Lovett said:
>> Finally, though I haven't done it here, I think that alphabetical order
>> isn't the best choice. In particular, I would put command-line followed by
>> command at the top, then all the xxx-commands, then the other lowercase
>> names, and finally the uppercase ones. YMMV.
>
> If you're going down that road, why not order the commands as they appear in
> the appropriate standards-track document(s).

The only document in question is this one.

Because someone reading the syntax isn't likely to care about that order
(which is still a matter of debate, in any case). Whereas having things
like "HT" in the middle of higher-level concepts is, IMAO, confusing.
I might take a different view with a different grammar, of course.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037