ietf-nntp HDR

greg andruk gja at meowing.net
Thu Jan 3 13:37:58 PST 2002

[Clive D W Feather]
>> Yes. I support the suggestion of ":Lines" and ":Bytes".

[Russ Allbery]
> I don't, at least yet.  I think that syntax is bizarre and completely
> unintuitive.  It feels very ill-thought-through to me.

I would rather see these things that aren't really headers put into a
separate verb (ARTINFO or something like that).  In addition to the
server-generated byte and line counts, it would leave room to add
other article metadata in the future.  Examples might be scoring,
arrival times [Highwind's X-Received-Date header is evil] and so on.
I wouldn't want to see us waste time trying to define what these other
values would be right now, just leave this space for future extensions
to play in.