ietf-nntp HDR

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jan 3 10:08:43 PST 2002

Andrew Gierth said:
>  Clive> If a server supports both the OVER and HDR extensions, it MUST
>  Clive> allow HDR on any header returned by OVER.
>
> what about Bytes and Lines?

Apart from those, what was your view of the idea ?

>  c) define "HDR Lines" as referring to the actual Lines header, and provide
>     an alternative way of specifying the "lines" and "bytes" overview
>     fields (e.g. "HDR :Lines" - ':' is not valid in a header name, or
>     alternatively require "HDR Lines:" to get the real header)
>
> I would go for something like (c), because existing practice isn't an
> issue for HDR, and the "XHDR Lines" behaviour is both a) very useful
> and b) a nasty wart.

Agreed. I would use "HDR :Lines" for this.

Implementers: is this hard to do ?

In my rewrite of the OVER extension I propose that LIST OVERVIEW.FMT
returns "Lines" instead of "Lines:" to show the difference. This would be
better changed to ":Lines" for consistency with this.

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037