ietf-nntp HDR

Charles Lindsey chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk
Thu Jan 3 04:15:08 PST 2002

In <87zo3wdhrr.fsf at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> Andrew Gierth <andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk> writes:

>So do we (using Lines as an example)

> a) require that "HDR Lines" return only actual Lines headers from the
>    article, which implies that it could return 503 if the server only
>    has actual linecounts available

> b) define "HDR Lines" as returning either the actual linecount or the

> c) define "HDR Lines" as referring to the actual Lines header, and provide
>    an alternative way of specifying the "lines" and "bytes" overview
>    fields (e.g. "HDR :Lines" - ':' is not valid in a header name, or
>    alternatively require "HDR Lines:" to get the real header)

Could we get away with using "bytecount" and "linecount" as the official
designations in LIST OFERVIEW.FMT? That would be incompatible with existing
usage, but who or what would actually notice the change?

That would lead naturally to solution (c). Not compatible with existing
XHDR usage, but then (c) is not compatible with existing usage however it
is done.

But having HDR Lines not return the content of a genuine Lines header (if
present) is just too ugly to comtemplate.

>I would go for something like (c), because existing practice isn't an
>issue for HDR, and the "XHDR Lines" behaviour is both a) very useful
>and b) a nasty wart.

Is it actually used that much?

Email: chl at clw.cs.man.ac.uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.