ietf-nntp 502 response

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Thu Jan 3 03:43:31 PST 2002

Andrew Gierth said:
>  Clive> Hmm, I see that 502 is also used by some commands to mean
>  Clive> "something broke".
>
> I suspect that all such occurrences are erroneous.

They've been there for a while. Do they need to be removed ?

>  Clive> Under what circumstances do real servers return 502 ?
>
> on connect, or after a failed AUTHINFO exchange, nowhere else.

It's given as a response for MODE READER and as a generic code meaning
"you're not authorised to use this facility" (a possible example of this
might be GROUP with a restricted-access group).

Does anyone have a server that uses 502 for "something broke" ?

Do we need a "something broke" generic code ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037