ietf-nntp Concerning Streaming

Clive D.W. Feather clive at demon.net
Tue Jan 1 14:29:34 PST 2002

Stan Barber said:
>> I don't see why LIST EXTENSIONS can't be streamable.  Yes, it would be kind
>> of dumb to go ahead and depend on behavior the server hasn't confirmed yet,
>> but that's also true of anything that changes the group context or article
>> pointer, which is, well, most commands.
>
> I think most readers keep up with group context and article poster.
> Given that readers can actually check for extensions without having to
> try them first, I didn't want to presume anything about the readers
> keeping up with what extensions were available between invocations of
> LIST EXTENSIONS. More discussion on this are welcome.

I don't see that this is anything to do with keeping up with context;
that's a client issue. Rather, streaming (or pipelining, as I think we
agreed to call it) is to do with whether the server is entitled to throw
away text that the client sent. MODE READER has good reasons for this; does
anything else ?

--
Clive D.W. Feather  | Work:  <clive at demon.net>   | Tel:  +44 20 8371 1138
Internet Expert     | Home:  <clive at davros.org>  | Fax:  +44 20 8371 4037