ietf-nntp GROUP Responses (was: Commetns on draft-15.pdf)

greg andruk gja at meowing.net
Tue Jan 1 10:34:36 PST 2002

On Tue, Jan 01, 2002 at 12:00:19PM +0000, Charles Lindsey wrote:
> AIUI, if you POST (or IHAVE) an article to comp.foo, INN stores it as if
> it had been posted to comp.bar. Or does this only apply to IHAVE, with
> POST rejecting with a 440 response?

In nnrpd, POST to an aliased group is rejected with

 441 The newsgroup "meow.specific" has been renamed.

(nnrpd 1.x also tells you the name of the new newsgroup.  I once wanted to
make 2.x to do the same, but was overcome with apathy.)

POST and IHAVE/TAKETHIS are the only things affected in INN by the '=' flag.
All other responses are identical to what you would get from a group marked
'y'.  No fancy name twiddling or anything like that happens.

As others have already noted, aliasing is a half-implemented idea, and not
universally available.  It might stand fleshing out someday, but it does
nothing special now that calls for changes in the protocol.