ietf-nntp Re: WG Review: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

Lawrence Greenfield leg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Dec 20 09:20:48 PST 2002

The major cost of TLS is in the public key operations that happen at the
start of the session. Due to session resumption, this cost can be amortized
over many actual connections.

Defining a new SASL mechanism that does some sort of ADH will in fact
increase the per-connection cost, since it will be unable to utilize
session resumption. (Not to mention that TLS can be hardened against MITM
attacks by distributing the appropriate certificates.)

The only reason to fear TLS is if encryption of the data stream is viewed
as too costly. This might be true, but if it is please confine your
arguments to that. (A clever server might be able to downgrade the cipher
suite in TLS after authentication has taken place by asking the client for
a renegotiation.)

The round-trip argument is a good one, but I think the web has shown that
TLS's costs are managable across a wide variety of clients.

Larry

--On Friday, December 20, 2002 10:42 AM +0000 Andrew Gierth