ietf-nntp Re: WG Review: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Dec 20 07:02:42 PST 2002

Andrew Gierth wrote:

>  Rob> Then the mandatory to implement mechanism could be something
>  Rob> more akin to CRAM-MD5.  Its just there to ensure baseline
>  Rob> interoperability.
>
> The mandatory-to-implement mechanism should be one that is actually
> useful in the real world, which rules out all the digest-based systems.
>
> This isn't just an issue for outsource providers, it also affects the
> ease of deployment of password auth _within_ an ISP, which is
> increasingly becoming desirable (replacing pure IP-based auth) simply
> because of the open proxy problem. Using a digest-based auth mechanism
> requires that the ISP keep a whole new copy of their password file on
> the news server, rather than being able to simply make the news server
> do RADIUS (or whatever) queries against existing authentication systems.

Maybe its just me, but you seem to be projecting your particular
implementation and its pros/cons on the entire community.  I'm sure that
there are plenty of ISPs that can successfully provide secure
authentication without the *NEED* for a DSS-type mechanism.  As I've
stated before, I can definitely see a fit for such a mechanism, but you
make it sound like nothing can be done without it.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127