ietf-nntp Re: WG Review: Simple Authentication and SecurityLayer (sasl)

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Tue Dec 17 11:25:58 PST 2002

Russ Allbery wrote:

> Jeffrey M Vinocur <jeff at litech.org> writes:
> > On Tue, 17 Dec 2002, Charles Lindsey wrote:
>
> >> So I still think we need a much lighter-weight system that just
> >> encrypts the AUTHINFO stage.
>
> > Note that despite the absence of any existing SASL mechanism to do this,
> > there's no reason one can't exist, and so this need not be considered an
> > objection to AUTHINFO SASL itself.
>
> In fact, SASL gets you a lot closer, since once you have SASL all you have
> to do is implement a new SASL mechanism and you don't have to worry about
> the rest of the protocol; the SASL profile will take care of all of that
> for you.
>
> This conversation seems to be going around in circles.  :)

Yes it does!

Let's discontinue this thread until we get Jeff's I-D and some
implementation experience.  FWIW, I already have working SASL and
STARTTLS implementations in the Cyrus server based on Chris Newman's
original draft (similar to the IMAP/POP3/SMTP profiles).  My guess (and
fear) is that these won't jive with Jeff's first draft, unless Rob and I
were very persuasive in our arguments.  ;)

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127