ietf-nntp Re: WG Review: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

Jeffrey M. Vinocur jeff at litech.org
Mon Dec 9 11:36:28 PST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Ken Murchison wrote:

> Unless I don't fully understand your problem, I don't see what this has
> to do with SASL.  SASL and the associated mechs describe a standardized
> over-the-write format, not how the user is actually authenticated.

I think what Andrew is looking for is something like:

DSS Secured Password Authentication Mechanism, C. Newman, 3/1998

    Some system administrators are faced with a choice between deploying a
    new authentication infrastructure or sending unencrypted passwords in
    the clear over the Internet. Deploying a new authentication
    infrastructure often involves modifying operating system services or
    keeping parallel authentication databases up to date and is thus
    unacceptable to many administrators.

    Solutions which encrypt the entire session are often crippled with
    weak keys (due to government restrictions) which are unsuitable for
    passwords.  In addition, such solutions often reduce performance of
    the entire session to an unacceptable level. This specification
    defines a SASL [SASL] mechanism which is compatible with existing
    password-based authentication databases and does not require a
    security layer for the remainder of the session.

I haven't seen anything recently on this front, although I'm definitely
way out of the loop on SASL stuff.

--
Jeffrey M. Vinocur
jeff at litech.org