ietf-nntp Re: WG Review: Simple Authentication and Security Layer (sasl)

Andrew Gierth andrew at erlenstar.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 9 04:40:14 PST 2002

 Ken> Since what is being worked on in this group is a SASL profile,
 Ken> it will not be added to the SASL WG charter.  I'm sure that
 Ken> members of the SASL WG will be happy to review the NNTP SASL
 Ken> profile document (I for one, as well as Larry Greenfield and Rob
 Ken> Siemborski).  In fact, Rob and I have already had an extensive
 Ken> email thread with Jeff on the NNTP SASL stuff.

The basic problem I still have with SASL (or indeed any of the secure
auth schemes I've seen) is that I've yet to see a solution to the
problem of handling multiple external authentication domains.

Specifically:

suppose there are a number (>1) of authentication servers A1, A2,
etc., which are accessible via potentially different protocols
(e.g. RADIUS or something similar), and are not under my control. I
get a connection from a user, and based on the username that they
supply, I have to query a specific one of the authentication servers
in order to decide whether to admit the user.

As far as I can tell that requires being able to recover the password
at the server end of the exchange, something that all the SASL schemes
I've seen go to great lengths to prevent. Note that using TLS is not
an option unless it can be confined to the auth exchange only; the
overhead of doing encrypted connections is infeasible in my environment.

This problem _ought_ to be solvable, but I don't have the experience in
crypto design to do it myself.

--
Andrew.